Friday 14 March 2014

Shipmates


Very few of my gay-interest poems have been published outside my collections; this is one that appeared in an anthology, True Love, Anchor Books (Forward Press) 2001 and subsequently in my collection the following year.

Ah, the (rare) bliss of a one-night stand turning into something more ...

Some years ago, I met a guy on the Gay Scene who was drop dead gorgeous. It turned out he was a sailor. For all I knew, he had someone in every port. Did I care? Well, no…and, yes, we did have protective sex. [Tip: Never have too much to drink when there is any possibility that you might have sex. It can ruin the sex and a condom is the last thing on anyone’s mind].

We had a fling that lasted as long as his shore leave then he sailed away, I assumed out of my life forever… but I saw him every shore leave for several years. Oh, how I  envied him a life at sea until he confided how he hated the closet but it was impossible to be openly gay in Her Majesty’s Navy without having to endure daily bullying, even violence. He envied me for being free to sail the sea of life without having to live a lie. (Having been forced to live that very lie from school days to early manhood, I understood only too well what he meant.) One day, we hugged and kissed goodbye, and I never saw him again. He disappeared from my life as unexpectedly as he had entered it.

Even now, years later, I answer a knock on the door and half expect to find him standing there, arms open wide, a cheeky grin on his face and a wicked twinkle in each grey-green eye. I do just that sometimes, but only in dreams...

SHIPMATES 

It was just a one-night stand,
I’d tell myself;
mustn’t let a fun time in bed
go to the head;
get a grip. Stiff upper lip
and all that

Read a book. Watch a movie.
Go for a walk, anything...
Must stop hovering, waiting
for the damn phone to ring,
’cause it won’t, yet here I am
in case it does…

We’re but ships in the night!
(Logo for a tee shirt
bought in Old Compton Street);
chin up, chest out,
time to get real again, strut
and fret a Happy Hour

"Away, all boats, away!"

Till I answered a knock on my door,
and there you were…

Copyright R. N. Taber 2002, rev. 2014

[Note:  For any readers unfamiliar with London UK, Old Compton Street is in a district called Soho that has hosted some great gay bars and cafes for many years. . An earlier version of this poem first appeared in True Love, Anchor Books, 2001 and subsequently in my second collection, First Person Plural by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2002.]



No comments: