Monday 7 April 2014

Taking the 'y' Out of Gay


Readers often ask why I write fiction as well as poetry. Well, why not? Regular readers will know that I've suffered regular bouts of depression all my life; writing in any genre is not only an enjoyable pursuit, but also a lifeline by way of creative therapy. Having anyone read what I write is a nice bonus:


The first novel I serialized was Dog Roses, a gay-interest story about a young man and his family coming to terms with his being gay; another, Like There’s No Tomorrow is about a woman who returns every year to the hotel in Brighton where her daughter disappeared without trace some 20+ years earlier.

Meanwhile...

When I was young, I’d frequently ask myself why I was gay… until I realized it did not matter. All that mattered was that I got on with my life and learned to let my sexuality play its part. It’s my life, after all.

My sexuality is no more up for being dictated to than my sense of spirituality. I feel fortunate to have learned in time how to relate to both with a passion I try to convey in many of my poems. In this respect, I owe absolutely nothing to the 'education for life' I received in the classroom. Sadly, even these days, gay issues are rarely if ever discussed in British schools; indeed, across the world. If ever a gay person needed support and reassurance regarding their sexuality, it is during our teenage years.

Sexuality is universal. We all have a gene that identifies our sexuality, thereby partly identifying who we are. Nor is sexual identity any less an integral part of the whole person that his or her social, cultural, religious identity... It is a mystery to me, therefore, how even the less enlightened among the heterosexual majority really believe there are no young gay boys and girls out there who will develop and grow into their sexuality as responsible adults with no less integrity or capacity for love and compassion than anyone else?

You will find homophobes in all echelons of all societies, and of all socio-cultural-religious persuasions; some are out, others prefer to stay in their stuffy closets. I have marginally more respect for the former although it’s anyone’s guess why these foolish people insist on displaying their ignorance of the human condition for everyone to see. I guess we can but do our best to encourage them to overcome this blindness of the inner eye in respect to gay men and women before more lives and societies worldwide are made to suffer for it.

This poem is a villanelle.

TAKING THE ‘Y’ OUT OF GAY

We’d meet after school every day,
go to our secret place
learning to take the ‘y’ out of gay

We took our time, found our way
through love’s maze;
we’d meet after school every day

Two teenagers with plenty to say
about spots on society’s face;
learning to take the ‘y’ out of gay

A brave maturity, come what may
(some say gay is but a phase);
we’d meet after school every day

At each parting, so longing to stay,
but homework setting the pace,
learning to take the ‘y’ out of gay

Years on, we came true to our clay,
where others taking our place;
we’d meet after school every day,
learning to take the ‘y’ out of gay

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010


No comments: