Wednesday 2 July 2014

Closet Heart


Gay people, of course, do not have a monopoly on secrets of the heart. For me, though, as regular readers well know, one of my darkest secrets was once my sexuality. I had acknowledged to myself that I am gay by the time I was 14 years-old. In those days, same sex relationships were a criminal offence here in the UK. Throughout my teenage years, I told neither family nor friends. I was not ashamed, just scared. 

It had so been drummed into me during my vulnerable formative years how being gay was something dirty if not perverted that even as a young adult, it would take a severe nervous breakdown in my early 30s before I’d find the self-confidence to come out once and for all. 

Those of us free to be openly gay should never forget that there are many, many gay boys and girls, men and women worldwide still suffering the awful fear, pain, and loneliness of a closet heart.

This poem is a villanelle.

CLOSET HEART

Secrets of a closet heart,
like claws of a trapped bear
ready to tear us apart

Under threat at the start,
nature’s soul stripped bare;
secrets of a closet heart

See truth’s unerring dart
sent flying through the air
ready to tear us apart

No sweet a fruit or tart
than words we cannot share;
secrets of a closet heart

Tools of a far subtler art
than Medusa’s stony glare,
ready to tear us apart

Endgame, a poison dart
(anytime, anywhere);
secrets of a closet heart
ready to tear us apart

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010; 2014


[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears under the title 'Dark Secrets' in On the Battlefields of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Book, 2010

No comments: