Sunday 14 September 2014

Second Chances


There are night moves and more night moves, but there are no moves quite like lovers homing in on each other to make up following a lonely, soul-destroying separation, especially after a quarrel …

Even some gay-friendly readers have asked why I write gay love poems. There is no such thing, of course; there are only love poems. Besides, I am a gay man and the love of my life, too, was gay; tragically, for both of us, he died in a road accident many years ago.


Writing about love galvanises its flickering flame in me to flare yet again, and makes me feel good (as he always did) especially when I am feeling low. 

The poem is partly wishful thinking in so far as the love of my life and I will never be reunited other than in a posthumous consciousness, and partly in response to a reader, Rob, writing in to say he has just been reconciled with the love of his life and both are 'deliriously happy'. Congratulations, both of you, and enjoy ...

SECOND CHANCES

Fast asleep, foetal position,
I did not hear the seventh stair
that would always creak
even when sly tiptoes trying
to sneak, unheard ...

In a dream, as always, I stirred,
reaching out for you,
making believe we hadn’t parted
the way we did, lashing out
with cruel words, each wanting
to hurt the other more
(it was like committing suicide);
Now, your body pressing
against mine, this dream-self
responding, oh, so eagerly
with passion, hot lips relishing
your tongue, entering caves
of loneliness, teasing me
with the happiness I cast aside
that night we died

What’s this?  A kiss, surely
meant to restore a lifeless heart,
let the blood course anew
through a body all but ready
for a coffin, for all willpower’s
attempting to find its way
pretences at of everyday living,
taking where it can,
giving precious little in return,
unable to feel anything
for longing to taste your lips
again, again, our sexuality
awakening to the rising heat
of a true reality, nor any words
(ever) necessary

Day and night, you haunt me
taunting me with images
of your naked body, loving arms
holding me closely, tightly,
as once they had before I happened
to hear gossip among those
I took for friends, workmates too,
and openly denied you-me-us
because I was weak, needed to be
one of the lads, though it meant
we’d part, no matter mind-body-spirit
likely to be sent into free fall,
by loneliness, emptiness, despair
for its not defending and clinging on  
to all it holds dear

My eyes fly open
and you are here, no mere vision,
but a whole new love affair,
You-Me-Us, redefined, ‘live’ metaphor  
for second chances 


Copyright R. N. Taber 2005; 2013

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears (under the title Seeing is Believing) in A Feeling for the Quickness of Time by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2005.] 





No comments: