Saturday 25 April 2015

On the Road, at Apollo's Call

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Regular readers will know that I am not a religious person although I like to think I have a strong sense of spirituality that I found in nature long ago. (Why should religion have a monopoly on spirituality, anyway?)

There have been many times in my life when I have been close to despair, and nature has saved me.

No coincidence then, perhaps, that the mythical god, Apollo, was reputed to have been bisexual and sunshine is to nature as love is to life…

ON THE ROAD,  AT APOLLO'S CALL

On the road

Spirit of life draining
from me,
I lay down by a tree,
let its branches
lift me free of the earth,
sail me on leaves
through time and space
to another place
where love and peace
are no sad dreams,
joys of hope running free
for all to see

On the road

Weary leaves unable
to sustain me,
returning me to earth
(nor gently)
as autumn descending
into winter,
my life ebbing away
into a stream
of misty consciousness,
happiness a blur,
(so near, yet, oh, so far)
my way unclear

On the road

Sun, suddenly shining
calling on the tree
to do the right thing
by me,
heed Apollo’s calling,
buds awakening,
new life shaping ways
of restoring
all weariness to vigour,
defeating despair,
defying the human spirit
to turn a deaf ear

On the road

Climbing a stairway
of sunbeams
on wings of a prayer
that you’ll still
be there, waiting
in a heaven
of our own making,
Earth Mother
at our side, fair Apollo
for a guide,
urging us seize the day
for being gay

On the road

I had not flown far,
spirits of love
and peace at my heels,
when I saw you
waiting at the next bend
where I fell
into arms open wide
like the branches
of a tree, restoring me
to life,
and bringing us together
forever

Copyright R. N. Taber 2015

No comments: