Friday 22 April 2016

T-I-M-E, Seasons in a Life


The seasons of life see us all through various ups and downs, highs and lows, while Hope remains a steadfast companion although we may lose sight of her now and then and/or she may fall short of certain expectations.

I had hoped that by the 21st century homophobia would be all but dead in the water and the heterosexual majority a more enlightened one; sadly, offensive stereotypes continue to dog gay people just about everywhere; in some countries, more so than in others but in any gay-unfriendly environment including those that wear a mask called Political Correctness.

We can but play our part. Some readers rubbish my gay-interest poems (so why read them?) but I like to think that being openly gay on-line and in my poetry is helping just a little to help gay people stuck in a cold, dark closet to feel better about themselves and summon the inner strength to come out and stand up to their demons. (Rarely if ever easy, but always worth the effort.)

T-I-M-E, SEASONS IN A LIFE

In the springtime of my years,
I longed to run away
from this life’s trials and fears
confronting me each day

Come summer, and I grew tall
like a tree in acid rain,
and wept to watch leaves fall
though not even autumn

Come autumn, I could but wait
while nature had its say,
proud, for my own small part,
I’d told the world I’m gay

In this, the winter of my years
I rise above, won’t run away
from this life’s trials and fears
confronting me each day


Copyright R. N. Taber 2007

 











No comments: