Tuesday 12 April 2016

Love. an Agenda All its Own


We cannot help with whom we fall in love, but our love is not always reciprocated in the same way. Loving someone who sees us as a close friend, no more or less, can be hard sometimes. Even so, - whether we are gay or straight, male or female - friendship is a wonderful thing, and if worth having, always worth saving…whatever it takes.

LOVE, AN AGENDA ALL ITS OWN

There’s a poem I’ve often tried to write
about the way his hair blows in a breeze
and his face almost vanishes from sight
but for a wicked laughter in the eyes

There’s a poem I’ve often tried to write
about the way his voice eases my pain
like a balm to sores, moon to wintry night,
sunshine filtering through a summer rain

There’s a poem I’ve often tried to write
about the way his hugs near break my heart
and how, as his arms are holding me tight,
it aches for knowing we must quickly part

There’s a friend for whom I often begin 
poems I know he’ll wish I’d not written…


Copyright R. N. Taber 2007

[Note: This poem has been slightly revised from an earlier version that appears under the title 'Genesis' in Accomplices to Illusion by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2007.]

No comments: