Monday 18 April 2016

Protest in Paradise OR G-O-D spells Love (Inclusively, in any Language)


Many people from various socio-cultural-religious backgrounds continue to actively condemn gay/ LGBT relationships. A Christian I used to work with - a charming woman -  once told me that while she, personally, had no problem with my being gay she regretted I would go to Hell. Others - from various religious backgrounds - have been  as forthright and said there would be no place for LGBT people in paradise.

Fortunately, not everyone from (various) religious backgrounds feels the same way and sees God as an all-inclusive God of Love.

Now, regular readers will know that I am not a religious person, and this has nothing to do with my being gay. I rejected religion even as a child because I found it didactic and divisive. Yes, I like to think I have a strong sense of spirituality, but I take it from nature where religion offers me nothing to which I can even begin to relate.

Whatever, I cannot conceive of any ‘God’ that would condone any form of discrimination against anyone simply on the grounds of their sex, ethnicity, creed or sexuality; if it were so, that particular religion would make no sense if only on the grounds of its inhumanity.

So if you subscribe to a religion, aspire to its interpretation of Heaven and are gay, never let anyone tell you there is no place for you in it.

PROTEST IN PARADISE or G-O-D SPELLS LOVE (INCLUSIVELY, IN ANY LANGUAGE)

My God, these people are gay!
What on earth can we do?
Can’t we just send them away?

Looks and speech are everyday,
(easy to slip through);
My God, these people are gay!

What on earth will the hets say?
They’ll be such a to-do…
Can’t we just send them away?

A voice in the soul says, ‘pray’
but it speaks to them too;
My God, these people are gay!

Commit themselves as they may
to a love running true,
can’t we just send them away?

Same sex couples should pay
but of course it’s up to you;
My God, these people are gay!
Can’t we just send them away?

No, you say? So, why, pray…? 

Copyright R. N. Taber 2007

[Note: This poem first appeared on the blog a few years ago and feedback indicated that some readers were offended. No offence intended, I assure you.]

No comments: