Saturday 4 June 2016

G-A-Y, Turning Tables


I once met a guy in a gay bar who told me he was not openly gay and asked how I ‘deal’ with my sexuality in the ‘real’ world. I told him how I used to think I had to ‘deal’ with it because, well, because… until I saw that the only ‘because’ was of my own making and I would never be free to be myself until I let it go and drown itself along with all the other excuses many if not most of us - gay or straight - so love making for not doing something.

"But people…" he began. I stopped him in his tracks and pointed out that ‘people’ are different; good and bad, wise and bigoted, open-hearted and closed-minded. Life is about seeking out and siding with the best, and taking the worst in our stride.

Now, it may well be true that most truisms are trite if not sweeping statements, but many make a point worth pondering upon. For example, ‘Laugh and the world laughs with you has to be a better cue for living than having it laugh at you…surely?

 G-A-Y, TURNING TABLES

Years ago, people made me cry
for telling me I well deserved to die
and they would not give me the time of day
just because I’m gay

Years ago I kept myself to myself
like an unwanted toy on a dusty shelf
rarely coming out, felt obliged to hide away
just because I’m gay

Years ago, I hid my sexuality
from a prying heterosexual majority
until a day I paused long enough to ask why
I should live a lie…?

I came out to the world at last,
facing up to and overriding my past,
sided with satire to confuse any would-be foe
let that tell them where to go

Once, I cracked jokes in a bar,
everyone laughed, shouted for more,
till a lone voice mocked my sexual persuasion,
only to be shouted down

Years ago, I was a fool to myself
gathering dust on a toymaker’s shelf;
fortunately (eventually) I got a life, and had fun
laughing the bigots down


Copyright R. N. Taber 2016





No comments: