Tuesday 22 April 2014

G-A-Y, Reflections In Time's Eye


Why me? How many times do we stand in front of a mirror and ask ourselves that question when certain issues start to get on top of us, not least being a prime target for local prejudice and bigotry? Gay men and women may have had more than their fair share in some parts of the world, but we are certainly not alone.

There are some horribly ignorant people out there, not least those who use socio-cultural-religious traditions not only to camouflage ignorance and bad attitude but also use as weapons against us.

Thankfully, though, there are also many lovely people out there too, ready, willing and able to help make this a kinder world. Sadly, things often have to get worse, and people made to suffer, before there is any visible shift for the better. Meanwhile, we can but stay positive, believe that fragile humanity will go from strength to strength, and see to it that our own personal space continues to send the right messages in the hope fewer people worldwide will choose to turn a deaf ear.

Yes, everyone has a choice. I have always found it hard to believe that so many people will choose religion against humanity when they can have both; they are not mutually exclusive, whatever some misguided religious fundamentalists might say, invariably banging on their own personal drum. The latter are a disgrace to their religion. [Evangelical Christians and radical Muslim clerics take note. Oh, yes, some read the blog, ostensibly as an excuse to email me occasional abuse. Ah, but who knows…?]

Mind you, in giving religion such a bad name, fundamentalists do people like me a big favour in forcing us to look elsewhere for a sense of spirituality to sustain us through good times and bad. As regular readers will know only too well, I found mine in nature.

G-A-Y, REFLECTIONS IN TIME'S EYE

Glass cracked while I stood by,
saying what will be, will be,
the mirror (knowing it was lie)
furiously tossing it back at me

I can make a difference if I try,
the looking glass reassured,
yet I saw but a centuries-old lie
made to fall on its own sword

Should we not put people right,
the mirror demanded of me,
wherever blindness to just insight
on the life forces of sexuality?

Come, get a grip. Let’s go, get real,
the looking glass began to plead
as the cracked glass began to reveal
unbidden truths, a hidden need

I closed my eyes then looked again,
saw in a mirror fully restored,
a frightened soul, always on the run,
ready to take its place in the world

History may yet put its wrongs right,
the looking glass reminds me,
those who care, sharing just insight
on the integrity of homosexuality


Copyright R. N. Taber 2009, 2014

No comments: