Saturday 9 August 2014

No Token Trophy for Glass Houses


A former work colleague, unaware at the time that I am gay, once boasted that he had gay friends, so no one could accuse him of being homophobic.

Okay, so far, so good…

He went on to tell me that, 'To be honest, gay sex disgusts me, but ‘you have to cover your back these days, don’t you, what with all this equality and diversity rubbish?’  It was as if his gay ‘friends’ were notches on his belt meant to show everyone he was no homophobe. His obvious distaste for and discomfort with the whole gay ethos made me see red. When I mentioned that I am gay, he beamed, seemed to think I was making his point (which was what, I am still not sure) and said, ‘See, I am talking to you as an equal aren’t I?’

This conversation took place in 2008, the year I retired. Maybe I am being over-sensitive, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth whenever I think about it.

In the minds of bigots worldwide, gay people remain fuel for nasty gossip, but as my mother used to say, all the while those who have nothing better to do but gossip (or worse) about us, they are at least leaving other vulnerable people alone. 


NO TOKEN TROPHY FOR GLASS HOUSES 

It seems like only yesterday we’d play
at hide-and-seek as butterflies looked on;
happy days, gay lovers feeling our way
into red-and-golden hours of autumn

By Christmas, gossips had left us for dead
(memory’s embrace enough to surf the swell)
nor winter’s cold, but lies covertly spread
conspired against us while wishing us well

Old prejudices, they (still) threaten us,
cast their nets as at moths and butterflies;
collectors, like minds, and the curious,
sure to excuse the means, relish the prize

Though the world’s hypocrites, they abuse us,
we’ll fly free, no token trophy for glass houses


Copyright R. N. Taber 2007; 2014

No comments: