Friday 6 March 2015

Getting the Better of Bigotry


Like many if not most gay men of my generation, I have found myself in a few tight corners over the years.

Now, this poem is not strictly autobiographical, but so easily could be. However, it is based on a tale told to me by a one of many wonderful, anonymous, strangers with whom there was a time I would spend many a happy hour (or more)  getting merry (and inwardly debating potential for…whatever) in the heyday of London’s gay bars… (Today’s gay bars are just not the same, ask anyone over 50.)

Sadly, though, I have to say that (yes, even in predominantly gay-friendly London) homophobia is still alive and kicking. Some people are born bigots, regardless of their origins, while multiculturalism does gay people no favours either in the sense that many cultures are intrinsically homophobic, and the more deeply entrenched among us refuse to adapt to a changing world.

GETTING THE BETTER OF BIGOTRY

I’d be walking down a street,
and they would shout after me,
call me a nasty name
I can’t repeat because it makes me
feel, oh, so sick inside,
and there was nowhere to hide;
I’d just go on my way,
asking myself why they hate me
just because I’m gay,
do they even (really) know
themselves…?

I’d be in the local library
and they would surround me,
ape nasty gestures
I can’t describe because it makes me
feel, oh, so bad inside
where there’s nowhere to hide;
I’d just walk away,
asking myself if maybe it’s true
what some people say,
that we never (really) know
our true selves

It was in the local park,
where they ganged up on me,
pulled knives
and I was scared because it made me
feel, oh, so angry inside
and I did not want to hide
or walk away
but told them what I’d learned
the hard way
that only cowards (really) run
from themselves

It was getting dark,
as they closed in for the kill,
just for kicks,
and I braced myself for the fight
of my life, no matter what,
and I didn’t give a thought
how it might end
then someone yelled ‘Police!’
and suddenly
the gang scattered and left me
to myself

I shook my head
as if to clear it of rage and fear,
but in vain,
as through hot tears I saw you
for the very first time,
and I knew you even then
for the stranger
in dreams since just a child,
feelings running wild,
needing someone to love me
for myself

We’re walking down a street,
and people nod knowingly at us
but quickly look away
as we nod knowingly back,
smiles on our faces
because we’re going places
they cannot follow
for we’re going all the way
to where couples the world over 
let love have its way,
and being gay is okay, we have
each other


Copyright R N. Taber 2015








No comments: