Tuesday 12 July 2016

F-A-T-E, Grains of Sand OR G-A-Y, True Grit


NB. Having published this post/poem this poem on the blog only a few days ago, I removed it after niggling reservations about the (original) tittle's persisted.

Now, I have met Christians who insist it is ‘nothing personal’ that I will go to hell for being gay, but ‘just a question of faith.’ I have also met Christians and those of other faiths who take the view that if we all were created by a God of Love, He is unlikely to make exceptions on such discriminatory grounds as sexuality...or much else, for that matter. Oh, and yes, I have also met gay Christians as well as gay men and women of other faiths, many of whom were cast from the fold like demons. So what kind of religion is it that demonises people for their sexuality?  

Regular readers know I do not subscribe to any religion, but take what I like to think of as a strong sense of spirituality from nature. At the same time, I utterly repudiate any suggestion that faith and sexuality are mutually exclusive. It may interest some of you to know that I came to that conclusion at the age of 10 while attending Sunday School. If I had the faintest idea then that I am gay, it was one for which I had neither the experience of life nor articulation to even begin to formulate. Like all children, though, I would overhear things. Rumour had it that a neighbour was a homosexual. My mother was shocked when I asked her what the word meant and said it was one that 'good' boys did not ask about. Naturally, I looked it up in my dictionary. 

Given that God created all humankind (as my Sunday School teachers would have me believe) it struck me as a grave injustice that anyone should be thought any less of simply for the way God had made them. This is probably why I felt no guilt when, at 14 years-old, I realised I am gay, and raged inwardly at everyone around me for years. (No one understood why, of course, or bothered to ask, so sure were they that their assumptions were correct, thereby missing the punch line altogether.)

Although I often write poems in the first person, few are strictly autobiographical. Even so, there are elements of autobiography in all my poems although just where is left for me to know and you to imagine…

F-A-T-E, GRAINS OF SAND or G-A-Y, TRUE GRIT

You were leaving a church,
a Holy Bible glued to one hand
as we exchanged glances,
all sense of body, mind and spirit 
like grains of sand descending
an hour glass, delivering us a world
we barely recognised as ours

You hastened on your way.
all but ran to the end of our street
while all I could do was try
to forget how you had affected me so,
scared you suspected
my returning a shy smile with a grin
exposed a maturing sexuality

I barely slept a wink all night
for thinking of you, me, and an ‘us’
never (surely?) any more then
than just wishful thinking on my part
for fear a secret I kept close
to this lonely heart have its way,
and all hell break loose

You skipped school the next day.
(the rumour was that you were sick)
and my pulse kept racing
for revisiting a subtly anxious glance
reflecting my own hunger
for a same sex relationship, love
but a welcome bonus   

I hadn’t subscribed to ideas of fate
till finding you by my side at the bell,
preparing to head off  
in the same direction, a freak shower
demanding our attention,
inviting us to make a decision,
make a mad dash for cover

Inevitably, we were soon engaged
in the kind of meaningless small talk
that means everything,
reading between lines and innuendos,
the suggestion we be friends...
while acknowledging so much more
without having to find the words

We were lovers but a short time,
(good mates the rest of our lives)
killing demon stereotypes,
exposing a world of prejudices,
religious dogma, bigotry...
as an any-excuses-better-than-none
mindset for abusing the rest of us

Copyright R. N. Taber 2016


No comments: