Friday 27 May 2011

Bring Me The Head Of An Honest Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Some readers have kindly e-mailed to ask after my health. I am fine, putting all thoughts of the prostate cancer cancer out of my mind (most of the time) and enjoying each day as it comes. Apart from having to rest a lot, I am determined to carry on as usual and see the cancer as a temporary nuisance, nothing more. It’s like fighting an enemy. Run away from the battle and it has won.

Meanwhile...

I have now posted all four ‘Brighton in May’ videos on You Tube. You should be able to access them from my YouTube channel [ http://www.youtube.com/rogerNtaber  ] but for the readers who have said the link does not work, here are the direct links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k1umqkeWME
(Brighton in May 1 - Peace - Three poems)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OApixHC9iY
(Brighton in May 2 – The Time Keeper)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxDfd2Pxqic
(Brighton in May 3 – Millions Like Us & Lasting Impressions)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj2HSJCvvBo
(Brighton in May 4 - Shell Seekers)

Meanwhile...

Today's poem has been revised from the version that appeared both in my collection and on the blog in November 2008. It has been requested by Larry and Duncan who prefer the revised version. At the same time, I should perhaps add that an old friend and hardened critic of mine prefers the original.

Readers often ask why I revise poems at all. That’s not an easy question to answer as I don’t publish a poem unless I am satisfied it ‘works’ for me and is likely to ‘work’ for the reader; at the time, that is. Sometimes a distance of several years or more gives the inner eye a different perspective on a poem’s subject matter and/or presentation. Perhaps I am a better poet now? Ah, but only you, the reader, can answer that one.

BRING ME THE HEAD OF AN HONEST MAN

The first time you touched me was by chance
(was it not?) In my head began a dance
more seductive than Salome’s for John’s head;
my legs caved in to its spell. I had to sit down,
the dance driving me mad with a desire
I hadn’t acknowledged before, closeted in corners
of a mind unable to come to terms with all
that’s poised there, desperate to leap on the back
of thoughts told 'inappropriate' as a child,
now lighting a fire that’s driving me, yes, mad
with passion, longing to take this dancer
in arms desperate for the intimacy of body to body,
cheek to cheek, declaring ourselves lovers.
Yet, how may I desire a lover of my own sex?
It cannot be so, cannot be right if it’s true,
all I’ve ever heard said at home, school, work.
Ah, but how can I deny feelings like this,
as much a part of me as a father’s hug, mother’s kiss,
brother’s playful knock-about or being teased
by a best mate? How to take the dancer as I find
without denying family, friends, peace of mind,
explain how the person they perceive is but a shell
this inner self must leave - to live a life that’s true,
shedding veils a body would hide, seizing alter ego
by the head, kissing its lips, setting its tongue
free to seek, explore, where it never dared before
because home truths hung back from knocking
at its door?

Dance done, your fair head in my hands no trophy,
but a prize second to none

Copyright R. N. Taber 2007; 2011

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears in Accomplices To Illusion by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2007.] 

No comments: