Monday 25 January 2016

Engaging with Ghosts at the Edge of Time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

In July 2013, prominent Cameroon gay rights activist Eric Lembembe was murdered. This man’s murder followed several attacks on the offices of Human Rights workers, including those working for equal rights for gay people. In a statement, Human Rights Watch said: "We don’t know who killed Eric Lembembe, or why he was killed, but one thing is clear: the Cameroonian authorities’ utter failure to stem homophobic violence sends the message that these attacks can be carried out with impunity."


[Eric Lembembe - Photo taken from the Internet]

In February 2015, a report issued by the International Federation for Human Rights   asserted that ‘It’s not safe to be gay or support Lesbian, gay, Bisexual Transgender and Intersexual (LGBT) rights in Cameroon.'

So much for the reader who got in touch some time ago to say he had dipped into my gay blog and doesn’t understand why I on earth I bother with it. He further suggests I ‘should stop celebrating my sexuality or whining about homophobia and just be grateful gay people have never had it so good.’ In some parts of the world, yes, this is true, and in gay-friendly environments the quality of life for many gay people has become markedly better in recent years, but in other parts…

Is this reader aware, I wonder, that 76 countries continue to criminalise ‘homosexual conduct’ punishable with prison sentences and hard labour? In five countries, the death penalty still applies.

Meanwhile…

Some time ago, I met a guy in a gay bar who turned out to be a naval officer who had been with patrols during and after the wars in Iraq. He was due for another tour of duty in Afghanistan within days. I have mixed feelings about that evening, and it haunts me still. A graphic description of war’s lesser and greater atrocities made my blood run cold.

We spent a good few hours just drinking ale and chatting during which he related some harrowing tales that gave me a whole new take on a sailor’s life on 21st century waves. ‘It’s not only the army and air forces that have their share of heroes,’ he commented wryly, shrugged and added, ‘We all put our lives on the line for peace, but the navy is always the last to make the headlines.’

Having offloaded for a good hour, he then changed the subject. We did not refer to it again, but discussed how well - or badly - gay people are perceived and received worldwide. It appears he has a partner, but gave no details and I did not pry. Suffice to say, their relationship remains a closet one. [While it may be legal in some countries now for armed services personnel to be gay, many if not most will confirm - as my friend did - that 'it's better and probably safer to keep quiet about it if only for a quiet life.']

As my companion was at pains to point out, men and women across the world are putting their lives on the line for peace every day. He commented, more than a shade wryly, that naval services rarely get the media attention or credit they deserve, especially true of gay personnel, of course, in all the armed forces. 'We deserve as much respect and privacy as the next man or woman,' he added for good measure.

ENGAGING WITH GHOSTS AT THE EDGE OF TIME or G-A-Y, PAST AND PRESENT FUTURE

I saw a ghost one midnight clear
as I strolled at the edge of the sea,
but had to strain  to see and hear,
its sweet, musical voice calling me

It moved no distance left or right
as despite cold fear, I veered its way,
unable to resist the ghastly sight
of poor humanity fallen into decay

Over the sand, I dragged my feet
to where the apparition awaited me,
Poetry of Quiet posed no threat
but muffled murmurs from the sea

‘I am your past, present, and future,
said the ghost (voice vaguely familiar)
getting the better of human nature
wherever it seeks to spite, kill, injure.’

'See me here, engaging with the sea
with a passion as for a (so) dear friend,
and though I die, believe this of me,
I lived for Peace on Earth to the end.'

Gone! Leaving me to sea and sand,
this restless heart well shaken but sure
of nature's taking us (all) by the hand
through life and love, in peace and war

Copyright R. N. Taber 2011; 2016

No comments: