Friday 1 December 2017

Snowfall


Snow is a mixed blessing; fun for kids and skiers, treacherous on untreated roads. Life , too, can be a mixed blessing, fun and treacherous at the same time…

SNOWFALL

It snowed that December Day,
(I remember it well);
precious moments, frozen in time
(wasted on braving it out)

All smiles, jokes and laughter
(camouflage for pain))
among ashes heaped like snowflakes
on a once-upon-a-love-affair

We shook hands, shared a hug
(as old friends might);
snowflakes like kisses on our cheeks
(life’s heat fast turning cold)

We’d agreed needs must we part
(where first we’d met)
a shutting down of blinds on sunshine
as snowfall to any hint of spring

As you turned and walked away
I glimpsed tears falling;
for you, for me, for us, I’d ask myself?
No answers, only more snow…

For years, I’d put on a happy face
(if always hurting inside)
until a day a sparrow called me O-U-T
and I (finally) dropped the act

Yesterday, the first snow of winter
left me vividly recalling
that other snowfall, and two gay lovers
scared to come in from the cold


Copyright R. N. Taber 2017

No comments: