Saturday 6 December 2014

Learning Curve


I have lived alone for many years, but it was not always that way, and I will always feel the same warm glow I like to think made me a better person for travelling love’s learning curve. Love, of course, comes in all shapes and forms - people, pets, nature, to name but three - all deserving better than to be taken for granted.

Sexuality is a learning curve for all of us, of course. Gay, straight, bisexual or transgender, we all need to show respect for each other's sexual orientation, not least by rejecting what are invariably misguided and (only too often) offensive stereotypes. 

LEARNING CURVE 

I could not believe I am gay;
it went against everything told and taught,
yet catching sight of you every day
urged me to account for tears on my pillow
every night

I tried to refuse you entry
to my dreams with some safer distraction
than an emerging sexuality,
but you would always invade, relish centre
of attraction

One day you suggested a meal
at your house, implying others joining us,
but not long after my arrival
I understood no one else would be coming,
and grew nervous

I wanted to leave, needed to stay,
slowly relaxed, began to unwind, feel free
to let my body have its way
with the heart’s desires, for all its growing
intensity

When you kissed me, I nearly died;
you instantly withdrew, a tableau of dismay,
till my kinder senses rallied
and I finally embraced the sure knowledge
I am gay

Soon after, I told family and friends
we are partners, and you're my dream lover;
some accept us, others can't,
but that's life, and we will see ours through 
together

I could not believe I am gay;
it went against everything told and taught,
yet loving you more each day
is a learning curve, sure to dry any tears 
we share at night


Copyright R. N. Taber 2014










No comments: