Wednesday 31 December 2014

A Timely Rescue


One New Year’s Eve many years ago, a friend and fellow reveller asked me if I am gay. When I answered, yes, he went on to ask why I had never mentioned it, was I ashamed…?

The truth is that, at the time, I was ashamed, having been raised to believe gay relationships were perverted.  I had discussed being gay with very few people in those dark days.

As a direct result of that long-ago conversation, I resolved to come out to the world, the only New Year resolution I have ever kept, and never regretted.

It remains one of the greater tragedies of the modern world that, yes, even in the 21st century, many gay people worldwide live in so gay-unfriendly an environment that they remain afraid to be openly gay. We can but hope for better times and less socio-cultural-religious bigotry dating back centuries. Meanwhile, no one should ever be ashamed of their sexuality, while  those that would have us be so would do well to take a long look at their own shortcomings and get real.

This poem is a villanelle.

 A TIMELY RESCUE

Before I acknowledged my sexuality
and came out to everyone,
I was scared, frustrated and lonely

Scared of losing my friends and family,
I could but conceal my confusion
before I acknowledged my sexuality

Made to think I belonged to a fraternity
of some perverted  persuasion,
I was scared, frustrated and lonely

Dreaded succumbing to plain honesty,
heavy my footsteps, every one,
before I acknowledged my sexuality

Slow to grasp at straws in an angry sea
of heterosexual convention,
I was scared, frustrated and lonely

Rescued, came to understand eventually
that I am but human;
before I acknowledged my sexuality,
I was scared, frustrated and lonely

Copyright R, N. Taber 2009; 2014



No comments: