Sunday 10 October 2010

The Rhetoric of Separatism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

After a number of requests that I do so, I mentioned some time ago that I would record myself reading some of my poems on You Tube. This is our first attempt (me and my close friend Graham) and we are quite pleased with it. Yes, it could be better but I have decided to carry any fans I may have left after this (!) on our learning curve, warts 'n' all. We had great fun on the heath and will return soon. We also recorded a couple of poems at the flat that I will upload sometime next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1z_NiNpRQw

If anyone shows much interest, we will make it a regular event, possibly reading more poems in one session as rime goes by although, for now at least, but I think two is quite sufficient. To be honest, it was such fun to do (and more difficult then we anticipated) that we will probably continue anyway... [If the link doesn't work, try going into You Tube and keyword' Hampstead Heath Reading.'

Meanwhile…

Years ago when gay relationships were illegal I the UK I used to fee a strong sense of separatism, not to mention alienation. Not any more and never again. We are all different. Making people feel different, though, that is indefensible.

'Prejudices are what fools use for reason.' - Voltaire

THE RHETORIC OF SEPARATISM

Some declare us sick
who are gay, only sure cure
by way of this religion
or that for rejecting laws writ
in Holy Books, kneeling
on a customised prayer mat
wishing for Heaven

I decline the way
of bigots and zealots, reply
that I am happy as I am
nor do I feel any shame
in the way Mother Nature
writes my name

Some place us beyond
the pale who are gay, only
salvation by capitalizing
on religion's preferred option,
and if sexuality still
won’t conform, it can
at least be discreet

I decline the way
of bigots and zealots, reply
that I am happy as I am
nor do I feel any shame
in the way Mother Nature
writes my name

Copyright R. N. Taber 2007


[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears in Accomplices to Illusion, Assembly Books, 2007.]

No comments: