Tuesday 28 June 2011

G-A-Y, Harvesting Centuries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I once discovered that it is not beyond the realms of possibility to fancy a friend you are convinced is a hot-blooded heterosexual only to discover the attraction is mutual. Perhaps they are bisexual or in denial about being gay, but when push comes to shove, does it really matter? The old adage is so true; gather ye rosebuds while ye may. There will be time enough to consider any long-term implications after having made the most of what’s on offer in the shorter term.

Now, the person with whom you are at the very least infatuated may not prove to be the love of your life, but there’s another saying that springs to mind; when opportunity knocks, be sure to let it in.

This poem has not appeared on the blog since August 2009 and is repeated today especially for ‘Henry and Malcolm’ who celebrate the 10th anniversary of their first meeting today. They don’t say why they chose this particular poem, but I can’t help wondering...

G-A-Y, HARVESTING CENTURIES

You were asleep when I got home;
I stripped in a pool of moonlight
spilling through a chink in blinds
carelessly drawn,
sat on the bed and watched you,
not sure what to do, lightly
stroking your pillow, hair lively
shades of brown

Guessed you’d hate me for being
here like this, lips longing
to kiss yours, moist and red,
like a dawn rose,
forced my eyes to the twin bed
inches away, empty, as quiet
as a waiting coffin, expecting
me to crawl in

You opened one eye, then two.
I froze. Your hand seized
my forefinger and its fierce heat
burned my toes;
not a sound to be heard as you
sat up straight, looked
right through me, wide-eyed,
disbelieving

Your free hand pinched my left
nipple, as if to remind us
it was no dream and my eyes
began to scream...
“Sorry!” Instantly, your mouth
and tongue ripped into me
without apology, finally setting
us free

We made love without a word
(there was no need);
on time wasted, we hungrily,
exhaustedly fed…
until such dreams worked a spell
on the two of us
as gay lovers have dared share
for centuries

Copyright R. N. Taber 2004; 2017

[Note: This poem first appears under the title 'Food for Thought' in The Third Eye by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2004.]

No comments: