Saturday 16 July 2011

Sometimes Sex Will Do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Now, one reader says his family and friends think he is ‘...shallow and some sort of sex addict because I play the field a lot.’ Well, he is only 19 so there’s plenty of time yet to think about settling down if and when he finds someone with whom he wants to spend the rest of his life. In the meantime, if you have a high sex drive, ‘playing the field’ beats jerking off alone any day!

The poem appeared on the blog I write especially for gay readers (everyone welcome) in May 2009. Since including it in my new collection, On the Battlefields of Love, another reader has been in touch to ask why it has not appeared on this blog ‘...if only because straight people need reminding about protected sex too.’ He has a point, and to be honest, I didn’t realise I hadn’t posted it here before.

It is a myth that only men (gay or straight) go looking for sex. Women ‘cruise’ too. Look around at your next party, disco or gig and you’ll see what I mean.

That’s ok. We’re all only human. Sexual frustration is natural enough and - so long as we take precautions (it’s not only HIV-AIDS that can result from unprotected sex and some venereal diseases can cause infertility) - satisfying it is nothing to get judgemental about.

Just remember, especially you younger folks, cruising rarely provides more than a one-night stand. No relationship based only on sex ever stood a cat in hell’s chance of lasting.

No, I’m not knocking sex. I may be something of a sheltered flower as I grow old(er) but I’ve made my share of making-hay-in-the-sunshine days…

Let's face it. Gay or straight, male or female, love can be elusive, and such is the chemistry between two people sometimes that sex more than compensates if only for the Here and Now. As for all our tomorrows...well, who knows?

This poem is a villanelle.

SOMETIMES SEX WILL DO

Come night falling on a city,
I took a road I didn’t know,
its lights looking out for me

Everyone kept smiling at me
like celebrities on show,
come night falling on a city

Self-conscious of a sexuality,
(companion to my shadow)
its lights looking out for me

I entered a bar half-hopefully,
willing my shadow follow,
come night falling on a city

A god dipped my immaturity
in a bright neon glow,
its lights looking out for me

In a vainglorious 21st century,
raising a glass to Soho,
come night falling on a city,
its lights looking out for me

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010; 2016

[Note: For the benefit of overseas readers, Soho is historically a very gay-friendly area of central London. However, you can have a good time here whatever your sexual persuasion]

[From: On the Battlefields of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010]

No comments: