Saturday 6 October 2012

My Way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Today’s poem last appeared on the blog in 2010. As I have pointed out before, not everyone has time to browse the archives so I hope those readers who recall it will enjoy being reacquainted.

My mother loved poetry and often used to read me poems rather than stories. I loved them and recall them all, but the first gay-interest poem I read (by Thom Gunn) not only felt like an endorsement of that love, but also of my emerging sexuality; in 1959 when same-sex relationships were still a criminal offence in the UK.

I have always loved libraries and been an avid reader although less so these days as my eyes get tired. Mostly, it would be fiction or poetry with which I would engage with a schoolboy’s enthusiasm for discovery. In this way, I’d not only escape from the harsher realities of life, but also learn more about certain deeper, kinder truths that my compulsory ‘education’ (so-called) rarely if ever even hinted at.  

Take being gay, for example. I had been led to believe it was a perversion so, realizing I am gay caused me to feel guilty for being a pervert. Books and poems assured me otherwise.

I learned that sexuality is in the genes and perfectly natural although frowned upon by those with neither the sense nor sensibility to appreciate anything (or anyone) beyond their narrow conception of 'normality' (upon whose back, of course, a society's leaders in and teachers of its conventions so love to ride). Now, there was a time when such books and poems would invariably be found ‘under the counter’ at my local public library. Ah, but where there’s a will, there is usually a way for an enterprising schoolboy, and my first job after leaving school was in a public library…

MY WAY

I read a poem about being gay
that came back to haunt me
but in the nicest possible way,
applauding my sexuality ...

I wrote a poem about being gay
that needs no apology;
whatever I do, whatever I say,
it always speaks up for me ...

I shared a poem about being gay
with friends and family
who put their misgivings away,
rose above knee jerk hostility

My life is a poem about being gay,
its words a taste of honey;
whatever I do, whatever I say,
it always speaks up for me ...

Copyright R. N. Taber 2008

No comments: