Monday 12 November 2012

Sow-Nurture-Reap, to Every Heart, its Seasons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

As I grow old(er) incidents and conversations from my childhood and younger years return to haunt me, in the nicest way, but make me wish I had learned sooner to listen more for what often lies behind certain words, phrases and sentences people select to use at any given moment in time… instead of just taking them at face value.

BOY ROGER:  I hate winter. It’s cold and horrible and so long. It just goes on, and on, and on...

MOTHER: Never mind, dear, it will be spring before you know it.

BOY ROGER:  Huh! I’ll believe that when I see it.

MOTHER: Yes, well, give up on spring and you really will have a long winter. Why don’t you go out to play instead of moping around?

BOY ROGER: No one will want to come out to play on a day like this.

MOTHER: Perhaps not. But you’ll never know unless you make the effort to go and find out, will you?

BOY ROGER: (grudgingly) I suppose not…

No matter how hard a time we may be having or how it may strike us (at any age) that the winter of our years has struck prematurely, we should never forget that another springtime will follow as sure as day follows night. Oh, and I well recall how I did make the effort on that occasion all those years ago and did find someone to play with; a cold, grey, winter’s day didn’t seem nearly as bad after all, just for being able to share it with someone, and create a lasting happy memory.

SOW-NURTURE-REAP, TO EVERY HEART, ITS SEASONS 

Once there was a time
it seemed like winter every day,
only a watery sunshine
streaking a sky that’s leaden grey  
life barely worth living

Past and present, unforgiving,
catching me out  
in what I took to be a loneliness
of old age as I’d read about
in novels, rarely taking notice,
forgetting the roots
of fiction lie in such harsh reality
as now had me in its grip,
leaving me to fret that only much
the same lay ahead, cruel
twists of fate by any other name,
delivering me into a spiral
of heavy, leaden grey depression

No hope of rescue till into my life
you came, bringing light,
warmth and joy, making of a lonely
winter of the heart a fair copy of some
eternal springtime 

Oh, and such a spring! Come to lend
even its shadows a touch
of wry humour, so lessening the burden
of my distress that I could
once more make space for a happiness
of which neither age, gender,
culture, creed or sexuality may justly
(surely?) claim a monopoly
content (finally) to let sleeping dogs lie,
cease berating a rose
for its thorns, rain for catching me out,
but dry my tears, start to love
and laugh, feel young at heart again

Where society so loves to put down
its gay lovers, be sure our season will long,
outlive its own, and even when time
brings us to where dark winters looming,
we'll never give up on spring


Copyright R. N. Taber 2012

No comments: