Thursday 7 February 2013

A Short (Gay) History of Cinema

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I visited the National Film Theatre on London’s South Bank last night; it is hosting a season of Montgomery Clift films throughout February. I really enjoyed watching a young Elizabeth Taylor and Clift in A Place in the Sun. I have also pre-booked to see them again in the American Civil War epic, Raintree County and Suddenly, Last Summer later this month. Both were very beautiful people as well as incredibly talented actors. Clift was gay, of course, so I was able to give my imagination a free rein…

I am feeling a little low and tense at the moment. I see my prostate cancer consultant again on Feb 27th and will have a cataract removed on March 1st. Fingers crossed that all goes well…

Oh, but there’s nothing like a trip to the cinema when you’re feeling low!

A SHORT (GAY) HISTORY OF CINEMA

He stepped out of a movie,
came and sat next to me where I was alone
between rows of heads
so close together the screen was in pieces
(just like I was…)

He put his lips to my ear
and told me no one has a monopoly on love
so why don’t I do something
about sitting here on my own, torn in pieces
by strangers

He put an arm around me
letting his tongue caress the lobe of my ear
gently tugged at my chin
till I was being sucked into the whites of eyes
like a priest’s silk

He kissed me on the lips
gently prising mine apart to let in his tongue
while tender hands explored
nether regions of a body I scarcely recognized
as my own

Oh, but I responded as eagerly
as the child hugged by a relative come to stay,
but never long enough
to put together all the pieces of the family jigsaw,
make it whole

He returned to the movie
where music was playing, credits already showing,
leaving me hungering for more
where I sat in pieces, but coming together courtesy
of strangers

Copyright R. N. Taber 2013

No comments: