Tuesday 19 February 2013

Passion-Pride-Poetry, World Without End

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I wrote this poem the day after a crowd of young men and women shouted abuse at me as I left a London gay bar in 2004. Expressions like “Fu**ing Queer Wrinkly” and ‘Stupid old gay Bastard’ were among those ringing in my ears as I walked away. I neither responded nor looked back. Many years of living here has taught me much about the art of self-preservation.

On the whole, London is not a gay-unfriendly city although perhaps less friendly than it used to be since a flood of immigrants from countries and cultures that continue to persecute gay men and women. I have no problem with immigration, but I wish people coming to live here would leave their prejudices behind. The majority do, of course. As usual, the world over, a vocal minority lead where foolish sheep will always follow.

Meanwhile…

Does anyone ever forget their first love, no matter how many times we fall in love again or settle down and live happy ever after with The One...? 

The one true love of my life died in his late 20's, but our love sustains me still, and always will.

PASSION-PRIDE-POETRY, WORLD WITHOUT END

The first, passionate love in my life
taught me to believe in myself, walk tall
where others warning of such pain and strife
I knew it was this or nothing at all

The first, passionate love I embraced
taught me to be true to my heart’s desire;
although others warning of a soul disgraced,
I kept faith, warming my hands by its fire

The first, passionate love in a world
that scorns me, (even now) for being gay
saves me from cut and thrust of cruel words,
no matter the worst some people may say

That first, passionate love, I feel it still,
making of my life, a poem, always will 

Copyright R. N. Taber 2005; 2018

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears under the title 'Passion, Pride and Poetry' in A Feeling for the Quickness of Time by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2005]

No comments: