Tuesday 16 April 2013

Dark Metaphor, Sweet Seduction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Over the centuries, many metaphors have been used by writers and orators for some transcendental passion for life and love. Someone once asked me what, as a poet, is the one to which I most closely relate. I suspect today’s poem is as good an answer as any.

Irrelevant perhaps, but I have to confess to a long-ago fling with a really nice guy guy. He was visiting London, and we spent a great week together. He had a fetish for black shirts and only ever wore one whenever we met up. He liked me to wear one too, even gave me one of his own for a souvenir on our last day together. Only, I didn't know at the time it would be our last day. I guess he decided it was time to move on and wasn't into goodbyes. Whatever, I discovered he had checked out of his hotel with a young woman, and never saw or heard from him again. 

I kept (and wore) the shirt for years.

DARK METAPHOR, SWEET SEDUCTION

I sensed before I saw
the stranger leaning against a wall,
observing me;
black jeans, high black boots,
rippling black tee

Shoulder length hair
tumbled like sea waves in a storm
while dark eyes
invited me to strip naked, dive in,
explore their depths

Oh, but try as I might,
I could no more ignore Man in Black
than my reaction,
fighting off thoughts of caving in
to dark seduction

I turned my attention
to a bird in a gutter, at first glance
seeming dead to me
till its wings managed a last flirt
with history

I grieved for the bird
that would never fly, never sing again,
and ‘never’ a lonely place,
island of lost dreams ghosting time
and space

Suddenly, I knew for sure
I wanted more than ‘never’ out of life,
needed the Man in Black
to enter my mind, body and spirit,
never look back …

Where metaphor serves sexual passion,
the Man in Black served mine


Copyright R. N. Taber 2013

No comments: