Thursday 14 November 2013

G-A-Y, The Next Generation


Regular readers will know that I include poems on a gay theme in general rather than specifically gay poetry collections. All my books are divided into sections, including a gay section, although in later years I have included more gay-interest poems in other sections too.

Now and then (straight) people get in touch to complain that they found a title of mine on their local public library shelves and were shocked and/or disgusted to discover it included gay material. All I can say is that they are not genuine poetry lovers (as well as being bigots) because a poem is a poem is a poem, whatever its theme.

Similarly, of course, people are people are people, whatever their sexuality, which is precisely the point I am making by not publishing my gay-interest poems separately. Fortunately, my titles sell well (for poetry) and most readers seem to enjoy the variety of gay and general poems, in various poetic forms, set out in seven easy-to-read sections.

Oh, and on the subject of approval and disapproval...

Yesterday, I was delighted to spot two young men, plainly in love, walking hand in hand down a street near where I live. Some people gave them funny looks but most paid them scant if any attention at all. I thought, how nice, and how different to when I was a young man more years ago than I care to remember! Hopefully, a day will come when gay men and women can walk down any street in any part of the world, hold hands and even pause for a kiss the way heterosexual couples do (all the time) here in the West.

Those countries whose leaders disapprove of and even persecute gay men and women need to come into the 21st century. They won’t be able to hide behind various misinterpretations of various Holy Books forever either. As for those arrogant, puffed-up evangelical Christians, Jesus of Nazareth would be ashamed of them. Jesus was a great advocate of humanity. As I have said before, take the humanity out of any religion and all the prayer and ritual that’s left becomes meaningless. [I may not be a religious person, but I was raised one and know my Holy Bible; friends who follow various religions assure me there is nothing homophobic in their Holy Literature although, rather like statistics, words can be made to say anything that suits if you really put your mind to it.]

After the joy of being in love, the next best feeling in the world has to be letting everyone know it, even (if not especially) those most likely to disapprove. Disapproval, my mother used to say, is invariably a synonym for jealousy. Whatever their sexual persuasion, people in love are invariably happy. Some people just cannot bear to see other people happy if only because it causes them to reflect on their own miserable existence.

G-A-Y, THE NEXT GENERATION

As we walked down
my street together, you held my hand;
people flung us dirty looks,
because they didn’t understand
about falling in love

Outside my front door,
you gave me a big hug and kissed me;
passers-by made rude noises
because they didn’t have a clue
about falling in love

As I fumbled for my key,
you shouted to the street how you felt
about me, and neighbours
turned up their noses at us because
it’s what they do best

As I closed the door after us,
children playing hopscotch in the street
waved a cheery ‘hello’
as if warning us to take no notice
of their stuffy parents

Once inside, we ran upstairs,
laughingly, carefree, still hand in hand,
shutting out a world
that didn’t want to understand
gay men falling in love


Copyright R. N. Taber 2011

No comments: