Saturday 16 November 2013

The Last Chameleon


Never, but never give up on love. Many of us do just that. (Gay people perhaps a shade more easily than our heterosexual counterparts?)  Whatever, there are, of course, exceptions to every rule (especially the self-imposed variety) in which we should all take heart.

It is invariably those critics convinced they have our best interests at heart that will do their best to obstruct us by raising the worst of daunting barriers, whether it be colour, creed, sex, sexuality or even ageism. 

By all means, let's look before we leap if only so we can be as sure as far as we can be sure of anything or anyone where we will land, and what we are likely to find there.  

Fallen out with love? Oh, but let's prove the cynics wrong who insist Happy-Ever-After is just a fairy tale, and GO for it... 

THE LAST CHAMELEON

Never thought to fall in love again,
as time passes like kisses in the rain,
sunlight on the sea, moonbeams
chasing shadows, just as we would,
he and I, long gone, a dream to cherish
though desire all but perished, a fire
left to smoulder as I grew older - until
I met you

At first glance, extinguished flames
leapt and began dancing a light fantastic
on my heart, feeding its sleeping coals,
storming my defences, ravishing me
where I stand for just holding your hand,
engaging your smile, old gods laughing
at my heartbeat’s mad leaping, your voice
washing over me, watching lips move
I so long to kiss, wondering what to say,
to let you know I mean every word,
how it's you inspiring me, conspiring
with a stirring sexuality, no thought
even of teasing you, only pleasing you,
blood coursing older veins than yours,
winging fair Avalon’s towers in the poetry
of our being together

Love, soulmates, lifelines joined together
or meant to pass at tangents to each other,
(whatever, fate will have its way with us);
Happy, wishful, ecstatic, a roller coaster
running madly, truly, deeply, every moment
well worth the sharing, caring, giving,
and taking that is love in all shapes and forms,
chameleon thought lost, home at last

Copyright R. N. Taber 2005; 2012

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears in A Feeling For The Quickness of Time by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2005.]

No comments: