Friday 10 January 2014

Engaging with Gender Identity


Recently, I had a dream I hadn’t dreamed for many, many, years, not since I was 14 years-old.  (I was born in 1945.)

It was like meeting up with an old friend, the same spirit guide that led me safely through the minefield that is growing up gay in a gay-unfriendly environment. In the early 1970's, for example, I studied English and American Literature at university; we barely touched on 'Leaves of Grass' and  there was no mention of Whitman being homosexual. 

Now, as regular readers know, I do not subscribe to any religion, nor do I accept the view that religion has a monopoly on spirituality.

“The spirit receives from the body just as much as it gives to the body, if not more.”  - Walt Whitman (Leaves of Grass) 

ENGAGING WITH GENDER IDENTITY

Eyes,
shades of grey
on a summer’s day,
rain on the way

Lips,
unsubtle pout
assuming I am out 
when I’m not

Eyes,
exploring me,
now imploring me,
adoring me

Lips,
beads of sweat
dripping body heat
on my shirt

Eyes,
caressing me,
now undressing me,
seducing me

Lips,
luring me out
of a tunnel of night
into the light

Eyes,
bitter-sweet pain
departing Square One
on a ghost train


Copyright R. N. Taber 2014

No comments: