Friday 10 April 2020

C'est la Vie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

The COVID-19 pandemic is at or nearing its peak here in the UK. Social distancing is of paramount importance if we are to slow the spread of the virus and eventually defeat it. It doesn't take a coronavirus to bring social distancing into play, though, as LGBT folks are as well aware as anyone, if not more so ...

While I am complying with social distancing at the moment, fond memories of times past helps to ease a growing sense of isolation .... and keep me sane as this mad, mad, mad world of ours continues to send mixed messages to a diverse population. 

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." - Robert Frost 

C'EST LA VIE

I got chatting
to a guy at a nightclub bar,
happened to mention
in the course of conversation
that I’m gay
to which he said he needed
a pee, left the bar stool,
turned his back on me, walked away,
(never saw him again …)

I got chatting
to a guy at a soccer club bar
discussing our team’s
chances of promotion, given
a promising season,
agreeing it stood to reason;
he asked if my girlfriend
liked the game, to which I said I’m gay,
(end of conversation …)

I got chatting
to a macho guy in a bus queue,
wondering if ours
would ever come as we’d stood there
a good half an hour;
it was getting late. Do you have date,
he asked with a grin?
I answered, “No, and by the way, I’m gay,”
(expecting confrontation …)

“Me neither,” grin broader, “so, fancy a beer?”
Bus came, passed us walking on together

Copyright R. N. Taber (2020)]
(London, UK, Good Friday.)

[Note: I wasn't happy with the original title, and feedback suggests that neither were many readers, although most enjoyed the poem. Many thanks, therefore to the reader who suggested a simple but appropriate replacement.]







No comments: