Tuesday 26 May 2020

Caught Out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber


Not one of my best poems but, having been the victim of my share of homophobic attacks over the years, one I felt compelled to write 

Even as we all find ourselves social distancing and doing our best to defeat the Covid-19 coronavirus, readers around the world continue to get in touch to say they have been the victims of homophobic attacks. Yes, it’s scary; it has happened to me, too, but not in recent years, possibly because I am in my 70’s now and the cowardly thugs no longer see me as a target; they forget the power of the written word. Homophobia rocks self-confidence, but we have to get on with our lives rather than let the sick ‘machos’ win, yeah?

As for those religious fundamentalists and evangelical types advocating hell and damnation for homosexuals and tearing the socio-cultural-religious fabric of societies apart ... they are no better than those thugs who resort to physical attacks on LGBT people. Indeed, they are worse since they are using the darker elements of socio-cultural-religious (and political) forces to suit personal agendas; the latter invariably found wanting to say the very least.

Society is a matter of you-me-us, a collective responsibility; parents, teachers, politicians, religious leaders ... all have their part to play, each in their own way. We may think we cannot contribute much to what is a global consciousness, but we need to remember that  ripples spread, and even a little can go a long way.

CAUGHT OUT

Some say it’s cool to be gay,
there are laws to protect you and I;
blood and bruises say they lie

Thugs came with baseball bats
and chased us, my gay friend and I,
gesturing abuse at the sky

They beat us, six gutless morons
yelling how all gays deserve to die,
yet we survived to expose the lie

Some say it’s cool to be gay
in a brave new twenty-first century
professing to respect sexuality

Whatever, we’ll not be put down
(for long); the human spirit endures,
catching humanity out for its lies 

Copyright R. N. Taber 2007; 2020


No comments: