Saturday 2 May 2020

Glad to be Gay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Many thanks to those of you who have been in touch to say they are enjoying my fiction blog:

I wasn’t sure if serialising novels online would work, but am delighted to have a slowly but surely growing readership. By the way, 'Dog Roses: a gay man's rites of passage' was the first novel I ever wrote. Since no publishers showed any interest, I am especially pleased by positive feedback from my fiction blog readers:

http://rogertaberfiction.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/news-updates-fiction.html

People often ask if I am disappointed not to have been 'recognised' by various media sources and seem to think I should feel a 'failure' as a writer. Well, no, given that I have no real interest in success or failure in that sense, but only in the sense that I enjoy writing, and it has worked well as creative therapy for my depression for as long as I can remember. I enjoy a modest reputation as a poet worldwide and that's a welcome bonus. If anyone reads and enjoys my various forays into fiction , well, that's another.

Meanwhile...

‘Ellis and Trey’ have asked me to repeat today’s poem that last appeared on the blog in 2010 because '...being a couple of dreamers, we just love it.' Many thanks for that, both of you, also for your kind comments about my poems.  Your signed, personally inscribed copy of Tracking the Torchbearer is on its way.

As for today's poem, I remain convinced that homosexuality is in the genes. How else to account for millions of us around the world from all kinds of socio-cultural-religious backgrounds?

GLAD TO BE GAY

By chance, I met a man, 
a stranger (yet not so) was he,
with sparkling eyes
like sunlight on lonely sea;
he paused, spoke words
I longed to hear, inviting me
to swim there, he and I together
(Oh, ecstasy!)

He laughed, told me to relax
and not be afraid, this handsome
man, eyes as sharp as any
kitchen blade. He took my hand, 
suggested we walk a while,
enjoy nature at its charming best 
a smile to die for banging on drums
in my chest

In the shade of a sycamore, 
we paused and he stroked my hair, 
this stranger in whom I saw
my alter-ego, and in the sheer bliss
of being with him
and that first kiss when it came
was so like a baptism that I forgot
yo ask his name

Gently, mouth to mouth, 
he pulled me to my trembling knees,
tears like raindrops
feeding Earth's natural life forces;
lovers for a day
till time spirited him away, 
a chance encounter that left me   
glad to be gay

Copyright R. N. Taber 2007; 2020

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears under the title 'Confessions of a Sandman' in 
Accomplices to Illusion by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2007; it subsequently appeared on the blog under a different title that I recently revised again. Regular readers will know that I struggle with titles ...]



No comments: