Friday 23 July 2010

Let (Gay) Love Dare Speak Its Name

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Update (June 27 2016): regulars readers will know that I do not subscribe to any religion. Even so, I ahve always said that religion and homosexuality should not be seen as mutually exclusive; where they are, it is religion that is found wanting. I am very encouraged, therefore, on behalf of gay Catholics worldwide, by Pope Francis' recent remarks.He said Christians owe apologies to gay people and others who have been offended or exploited by the church, remarks that some Catholics have hailed as a breakthrough in the church's tone toward homosexuality: "I repeat what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says: that they must not be discriminated against, that they must be respected and accompanied pastorally." - Pope Francis at a press conference aboard the papal plane returning from Armenia at the weekend.

Meanwhile...

Today's is essentially autobiographical. I had no idea he was a priest when I met him. It was like something out of that wonderful movie 'Priest' although neither of us can compare for looks or charisma with Linus Roache (who plays the priest in the movie) or Robert Carlyle (his lover). During the course of our relationship, I found myself considering the whole Catholic ethos and becoming increasingly disturbed by it.

My main objection to the Catholic Church had always been its condemnation of homosexuality and the use of condoms in a world that has to live with HIV-AIDS together with what I have always considered to be a conveniently customised attitude to ‘sin’. I had not given much thought to its priests themselves.

As far as I am concerned, there is nothing unnatural about homosexuality. Sexuality has to be in the genes. We are born this way, although what we do about it is down to us. Celibacy, on the other hand does strikes me as being unnatural. If Catholics feel they should follow Jesus Christ’s example, fair enough. But how do we know for sure that Jesus was celibate? Because the Bible makes no mention of it doesn’t mean He never had sex. After all, while He may or may not have been the Son of God, he lived on Earth as a man. Sex is, after all, a very private matter between two people. Besides, it has nothing whatever to do with His coming to tell the world about a kinder God than portrayed in the Old Testament and thus encourage a more compassionate, understanding relationship between individuals, races, tribes, communities, whatever…than, for the most part, humankind has ever felt inclined.

My priest lover left the Catholic Church. Yet he still thinks of himself as a man of God…and why shouldn’t he? He and his partner have lived happily together for some years now and while erstwhile Catholic colleagues might begrudge them their happiness I feel certain God doesn’t.

[Note: Regarding Catholicism, I feel successive popes have a lot to answer for, and am always wryly amused by the way in which my blogger colleague Edwin Black chooses to make his feeling son the subject known via his satirical blog: http://bardicblackspot.blogspot.com  His 'Temptations of the Flush' (also available as an e-book on Google Play) may be outrageous, but - as all satire intends - it is also very thought provoking.]

It is yet another tragedy of contemporaneity that - even in the so-called 'liberal thinking' West - LGBT folks are forced by home/ society environments to live out their lives in a closet, often without even a regular partner to make it bearable.

LET (GAY) LOVE DARE SPEAK ITS NAME

My love for a priest
dare never speak its name;
though he loved me too,
he’d hang his head in shame
when I’d plead (tearfully)
that he acknowledge me

My love for a priest
ran deep and true for years;
though he loved me too,
begged me never leave,
he was not a man to wear
his faith on his sleeve

My love for a priest
could not survive his guilt,
taught that his sexuality
sucks up to an immorality
his congregation so deplores
it slams shut its doors

My love for a priest
could not hope to compete
with a religion bent
on encouraging deceit,
suggesting our God bless
who would disown us

My love for a priest
could not survive the closet
his Church imposes
and I found someone new
to love and acknowledge me
as I needed to be

Our love did not revive
after he finally left his Church
to reassure gay folks
cast out, that God gives up
up on no one, will always wait
for us at Heaven's gate

If God is Love, we should dare
speak its name anywhere

Copyright R N Taber 2010, 2019

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears under the title Let Love Dare Speak Its Name in On the Battlefields of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010]

No comments: