Sunday 11 July 2010

Head Over Heels


I was seventeen when I wrote today's poem. I only slightly revised it after rediscovering it on an old exercise book in 2010. It does not appear in any of my collections, but I plan to include it in a final collection - Diary of a Time Traveler - that I am already collating for publication in 2015 when I will hit 70. 

It was sheer hell having to keep my sexuality a secret (gay relationships were still illegal in the UK then) but I was having a great time discovering its potential for love and romance.

Never let anyone tell you a gay person can't do romance; the heterosexual majority has no monopoly on that any more than it has on love. 

Oh, yes, and half a century on, I am still a shameless romantic...so I was thrilled to discover only recently that there is a new Doris Day album called My Heart available on cd with songs from 1985/1986 that I had not heard before. Doris must have been in her sixties then, her voice as magical as ever. 

HEAD OVER HEELS 

Long before I even knew it,
I was in love with you

Long before I dared show it,
I was in love with you

I had tried closing mind-spirit
to feelings left by
wet dreams I dare not confess
for playing the fool,
haunted by the impossible,
but my body had other ideas,
and dreamed on

Once I understood
the true depth of my feelings,
I struggled to deny them,
put them out of heart and mind,
resume friendship’s ways
without love’s precious bane
burdening me so,
making believe I could break free
of love’s sweet slavery,
binding me to you more fiercely
with each passing day
even as I remained in denial 
that I am gay,
so binding were the ties
of childhood, carrying its lies 
into an adulthood, 
tearing itself apart for shame,
my heart refusing 
to acknowledge male bonding 
by any other name - until
a day came we lay down on a patch 
of grass in a friendly wood, 
sunshine bringing the trees alive
with a music and poetry 
of love awakening in me a desire 
I could ignore no longer

I leaned over, kissed you
and closed my eyes, waiting
for a rush of rage
(even blows) to show me
the sheer futility
of loving you, my being gay,
world as it is

Your touch when it came
was a long, gentle kiss

Love’s bliss, when it came,
no sweeter than for us


Copyright R. N. Taber 1963; 2010











No comments: