Thursday 18 November 2010

Command Performance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

CYNIC: Romance, huh! It’s just so corny. Who’s got time for it these days anyway?

POET: People who do corny, for a start.

CYNIC: Yeah, right. I thought they went out with the ark.

POET: Well, you know what thought did.

CYNIC: What?

POPE: Dived off a cliff to get picked for the Olympics.

CYNIC: So?

POET: The tide was out.

COMMAND PERFORMANCE

The moon, it’s dancing
on the branches of a tree
and I see you again,
the way you were with me
that other time
the Old Man willed us
to go free

The moon, it’s seducing
the brightest leaf on the tree
as I stand at a window
where you stood with me
that other time,
Earth Mother, anxious
we feel free

The moon, it engaged
with our fears and desires
as we stole a first kiss
in an empty room carrying
noises from below,
people partying, indifferent
to all else

The moon, it made love
to the brightest leaf on the tree,
serenaded by the wind,
watched over by guardians
of the night sky
conspiring to spare love
a rough passage

The moon, it’s dancing
on the branches of a tree
and I see you again,
the way you are with me;
gay, in love, inspired
by the age-old wisdom
of a natural world

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010

No comments: