Monday 15 November 2010

It's Magic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Not so long ago I was waxing lyrical about Doris Day. A reader who has some kind words to say about my villanelles has asked if I would write one about Doris. I have done my best although no poem can do justice to this amazing woman. I’d like to dedicate the poem to her.  Some people hate villanelles, of course, but I have a passion for them. I love the discipline they impose on the poet. So perhaps this poetic form is not inappropriate given that acting and singing, too, require discipline.

Gay or straight, don't we all have our favourite icons, inspiring/reassuring/comforting us for one reason or another? Oh, and why not ...? We all need that feel-good factor for which we ordinary mortals rarely if ever get the chance to thank those from all walks of performance art who work hard at providing it.

Oh, and Doris was born on this day, April 4th 1922 ...which makes here ...who cares? Thank you Doris for making so many people (like me) feel happy just as we stand on the brink of feeling, well  ... otherwise.

Photo: Doris Day (taken from Wikipedia)

IT’S MAGIC

Oh, how I love Doris Day,
singer, actress, gem;
she takes my breath away

Voice now bright and gay,
now like a lovely hymn;
oh, how I love Doris Day

Sparkling, come what may,
as a clear mountain stream;
she takes my breath away

No matter where I may lay
me down, she’s my dream;
oh, how I love Doris Day

She’s all the best critics say,
sheer magic for all time;
she takes my breath away

Though blond hair turn grey,
the spirit shall never dim;
oh, how I love Doris Day,
she takes my breath away

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010

No comments: