Monday 14 February 2011

Journey to the Centre of the Earth OR Home, Sweet Home

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

The link below is to a poetry reading I gave on the 4th plinth in London's Trafalgar Square back in 2009. This was my contribution to sculptor Antony Gormley;s 'live sculpture' project, One and Other, during which 2400 people were invited to do their own thing for 1 hour; the project ran 24/7 for 100 days and the entire web stream (as viewed worldwide at the time) is now archived in the British Library,.


http://www.webarchive.org.uk/wayback/archive/20100223121732/oneandother.co.uk/participants/Roger_T  [ [NB: Sept 19, 2019 -The British Library confirmed today that the video is no longer available as it was incompatible with a new IT system, However, it still exists and BL hope to reinstate it and make it available to the public again at some future date.] RNT


While this post first appeared on Valentine’s Day, I like to think that every day has the potential for romance...for everyone, regardless of age, colour, creed, sex, sexuality and, yes, even politics. 



“Perhaps home is not a place but simply an irrevocable condition.”
― James Baldwin, Giovanni’s Room

Wishing you all love and peace always,

Roger

JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH or HOME, SWEET HOME


Love, it was, led me to the edge of a darkness;

love, it was, brought me back into the light

Love, it was, had me running around in circles;

love it was, let me pause, rest in its craters

Love, it was, let Apollo’s kisses scald my flesh;

love, it was sung me a lullaby to ease my pain

Love, it was, set its dogs on me, all muzzle-free

love, it was, found me peace in a rose garden

Love, it was, created a space on the fourth plinth

so all art’s demons might yet be acknowledged

Love, it is, lets roses grow where weeds untended

but for its sweeter voices tempering any anger

Love, it is, helps me to cry poems rather than tears;

love, it is, underwriting Man's faith in humanity

Love, it is, sees me to the edge of a world darkness;

love, it is, always sees me safely into its light

Love, it is, let me rage at the sky albeit a south wind

reminds me how we met, and what drove us apart

Love it was, once took your body and made it mine;

love it is, enters my sleep, and makes forever ours

Copyright R. N. Taber 2011


No comments: