Sunday 13 February 2011

Kiss And Tell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

This poem has already appeared on the blog twice; the last time was in July 2010. However, so many readers have asked me to post it again that LGBT History Month here in the UK seems as good a time as any. It is posted again today especially for ‘Marc and Tony’ - ‘Steve and Ron’ - ‘Samir and Hassam’ - ‘Axel and Kristian’ - ‘Inez and Ingrid’ + ‘Alice amd Siobahn’; also for a teacher, Mick, who says, ‘[I] wholeheartedly support the idea of LGBT issues being discussed in schools instead of being avoided as if being gay, lesbian or transgender was still some kind of taboo.’

Photo taken from the internet

Gay couples, like couples the world over, don't deserve to be mocked or scorned for a simple  public show of affection. Yet, even in this 21st century of ours, we continue to be mocked and/or scorned the world over...not only in closed societies either; homophobia remains alive and kicking in the western world too. Socio-cultural-religious arguments against such simple public shows of affection - by couples of either sex. sexuality are an anachronism; bigotry by any other name...

KISS AND TELL

Your first kiss stripped my conscience bare
and reconstructed it, layer by finer layer

Your next kiss peeled away guilt of a Youth
that never quite came to terms with truth

More kisses instilled in me a peace of mind
my heart often warned I might never find

Other kisses showed me a brave new world
then took me there, its humanity revealed

Your mouth, it lit in me a bonfire of passion
reducing life’s agony to a smouldering ruin

Your kisses flood me with beautiful dreams
where nightmares once tore at life’s seams

Each kiss leaves my heart soaring like a dove;
where it sang the Blues, now it sings of love

Your kisses taste like rose-hip on my tongue,
our bodies, like petals, in spring’s arms flung

No kiss leaves me but yearning for another;
no matter the bigotry, we have each other

Your mouth teaches me even more each day
how to live and love, unashamed to be gay

Copyright R. N. Taber 2008

[From: Tracking the Torchbearer by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2012]



No comments: