Monday 11 April 2011

Song of Freedom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

This 'poem' appeared on the blog in 2009 and received a good response (and a lot of criticism from readers who say a lyric has no place on a poetry blog) so here it is again for new readers and for regulars to become reacquainted. It was originally written as a lyric for a gay musical I was supposed to be co-writing with a friend, but he went off the idea and emigrated with his boyfriend instead so it never materialised. [Another pipe dream bites the dust. That’s the story of my life. Do I care?] Oh, other pipe dreams came along, and some even managed to see the light of day while others remain tucked away in a dusty corner of my mind tagged ‘Fat chance!’

Win some, lose some. I suspect that’s the story of many people’s lives. We just have to make the most of our winnings, and give the rest...well, a rest. It simply isn’t true that no one loves a loser, but no one want to keep hearing about where we’ve taken a wrong turning in life either! I know people who are so negative that I wonder why they bother getting up in the morning. [I dare say they do too.]

Ah, but coming ‘out’ and staying ‘out’ has to be one of the greatest feelings in the world for a gay person; once any initial apprehension is all done and dusted, that is. It's rarely an easy step to take although easier for some than others. Whatever, we need to remind ourselves that in some places (yes, even in the 'liberal' West) it is still tough to be openly gay so hardly surprising that some gay men and women prefer the proverbial closet. Moreover, gay relationships remain a criminal offence in some countries, even punishable by death. A sobering thought...

SONG OF FREEDOM

Different, I feel different,
what's so different about me?
I feel good, on a high,
and as free as any songbird,
don't just take my word,
try it and see, it has to be
the finest feeling in the world,
just who you are, better
by far than chasing rainbows,
cheating on dreams,
putting on a happy face
when you're falling apart
at the seams...

I am who I am, and no matter
what they say,
I'm no different,
just so happy to be free
of that other me too scared
to say I'm gay

Better, I'm feeling better,
so much better
all the time, whatever highways
to cross, rivers to swim
mountains to climb, I can do it.
I just know it,
only give me a chance,
to let me show it,
I swear it's true, I so need
to be with you,
for it's you are my rainbow.
you are my dream,
let's not go on pretending
we're all that we seem

We are who we are, and no matter
what they say,
we're no different,
just so happy staying free
to love and be loved unafraid
to say we're gay

Copyright R. N. Taber 2002; 2011

No comments: