Tuesday 11 September 2012

Give me a Clue


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Here’s a very early (autobiographical) poem that I discovered a few years ago while clearing out my flat; I have slightly revised rather than rewrite. I was 17 years-old when I wrote the original version at a time when gay relationships were still a criminal offence here in the UK. In those days (as now) poetry was my lifeline, giving rein to pent-up feelings I could share with no one except others like me struggling to make sense of our sexuality. Some of us stayed the course; others, like Joey, caved into Mother Convention and the expectations of unsuspecting parents.

Joey is not his real name, but it is his birthday today.  He married a good 40 years ago and now has great-grandchildren. In the unlikely event he ever reads this post, he may remember me if I say he shared his name with the family cat (black, but for the tips of its ears that were white).

Oh, yes, I remember it well…


(Photo from the Internet)

GIVE ME A CLUE

Love was just a word
I’d heard people say, read about
in books, seen on TV
and movies in the middle row
at popcorn cinemas

Maggie is a lovely girl,
who lived just across the way
and asked me out,
but somehow I couldn’t see it, her
and me on a date 

Love was just a word,
kept drilling holes in my head,
burning my ears,
turning my skin red for tongues
ever wagging at me

Harry is a real nice guy
whom I’d known for years, 
(though not really well)
invariably making the queerest
impression on me 

Love was a just a word
making itself felt all the more
for wondering about Joey
and what he was doing, wishing
we could get together

I really didn’t have a clue
what life was meant to be about
(for me, at any rate)
till Joey sat next to me on a bus,
let his smile say it all

Love was just a word
I’d heard people say, read about,
seen on TV, in cinemas...
till we shared a kiss, Harry and me,
and it (finally) got real

Copyright R. N. Taber 1963; 2012


No comments: