Sunday 2 December 2012

Getting the Better of Winter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Across the northern hemisphere in winter, we think of cosy fires and keeping warm while on the other side of the world it may well be the sun’s heat sea is throwing out an invitation to jump in the sea and cool off.

Wherever, fortunate indeed are they for whom a warm glow engages with the heart and  throws out an invitation it cannot refuse.

Me, I love the seaside in winter. Yes, it can be a lonely place, but so can anywhere else where we feel the need to home in on love...

GETTING THE BETTER OF WINTER 

We sat on a bench looking out at the sea;
you edged closer, laid a hand on my knee,
arms around each other the way friends do
only this time, something different, new

I felt your hand move until it found mine,
caress my fingers lightly then entwine;
hot breath on my cheek like intimate lace
though I dare not turn, look you in the face

Not a word, your head on my shoulder,
my mind in turmoil, heart beating louder;
I froze and hastily you pulled away,
winter closing in on us, sad and grey

I turned, licked my lips and leapt the abyss;
on the other side, we shared our first kiss

[From: Accomplices To Illusion by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2007]








No comments: