Saturday 16 March 2013

Condiments and Consequences, a Brief Discourse on Gay Rites

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Someone asked me recently if I could recall the moment I acknowledged to myself that I am gay.  

It was an easy enough question to answer…

CONDIMENTS AND CONSEQUENCES, A BRIEF DISCOURSE ON GAY RITES

I reached across the table
for the salt just as he did too;
our fingers touched lightly
but long enough for me to feel
the blood rush to my head,
sensual shivers down my spine...
His brown eyes met mine
briefly, a glance seducing me
frankly inviting me to see
passion in them equal to my own
desire for him

I looked away in confusion
at a salad bowl hosting a profusion
of leafy delights, mushrooms
and peppers the colour of his lips
(parted slightly, seductively)
as I helped myself from the bowl
while imagining his kisses
on my mouth, his hands exploring
my body as they stripped me
bare of inhibitions and reservations
regarding my sexuality

I picked at food on my plate
but every delicious mouthful I ate
could not even partly satisfy
a growing hunger in me for the man
sitting opposite, smiling at me
now and then as if having to work
at being polite and friendly
as we made love in a makeshift bed,
damask tablecloth a sheet
making us, oh, such willing captives
of our selves

I spilt slivers of a red pepper
on my shirt that grinned up at me
like the lips pinioning mine;
with one shaky hand I wiped it away
while the other spilled wine
on my trousers and I began to panic,
felt exposed to every eye
around the table, but no worries there,
everyone far too busy
sizing each other up for this or that
after passing the salt

Brown eyes, creating a template for life;
salt cellar, outing me to myself

Copyright R. N. Taber 2013

No comments: