Friday 10 May 2013

The Word Is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

From time to time, I find myself looking back in horror and anger to the dark days of my youth when gay relationships were illegal here in the UK, especially when I receive emails from gay people living in a gay-unfriendly environment (anywhere in the world) and besieged with doubts regarding the integrity of his or her sexuality.

It is OK to be gay, If other people have a problem with that, it's their problem. The world is all the richer for the diversity of people in it; as I have said many times on the blogs, our differences do not make us different, just human,

THE WORD IS…

G-A-Y is a word that’s had me worried
till I met you

G-A-Y is a word that’s had me scared
for HIV-AIDS

G-A-Y is a word I’d heard is a synonym
for perverse

G-A-Y is a word I’d only known used
for a punch bag

G-A-Y is a word I was taught to believe
only losers use

G-A-Y is a word I was told denies God
and worse

G-A-Y is a word I was encouraged to spit
upon

G-A-Y is a word that fair shook the life
out of me

G-A-Y is a word that tossed me into a pit
of wintry despair

G-A-Y is the word that returned me to light
and springtime

G-A-Y is the word that tossed me a lifeline
and set me free

G-A-Y is a word that really had me worried
till you found me

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010
  
[Note: This poem was written in 1973, rediscovered in 2009.and first posted on the Internet in 2010]

No comments: