Friday 13 June 2014

Running with Dinosaurs


Once, I had a boyfriend, Simon, who had only just got around to telling his family he is gay, and took a little longer to break it to them that I was the new boyfriend. Simon’s family was not exactly overjoyed, either with his being gay or my part in it all.  

It was all a long time ago and Simon has been with his partner for many years now. I see them now and then; they are very close. Both families attended their Civil Partnership two years ago.

Now, this may not be a particularly good poem, but I never could resist a happy ending…

RUNNING WITH DINOSAURS 

I so hate it that my son is gay,
a dad confided in me,
nor can I find the words to say
I’m ashamed of his sexuality

It’s just not true I love him less,
the same dad reassured me,
but nature didn’t provide an anus
to be used other than…naturally

I’ll love him whatever his choice,
this dad confided in me,
but you can’t expect me to rejoice
that he has a boyfriend, surely?

True love is unconditional, I said,
as good parents, siblings,
partners and friends take as read
above all things…

It’s easy enough for you to say,
the dad confided in me,
you don’t have a son who’s gay,
letting down the whole family

Of course I’m proud of the lad,
his dad reassured me,
and since he’s not turned out bad,
I know it’s thankful I should be

If families can’t see eye to eye,
this dad, a cleric, told me,
let’s hope and pray we’ll get by,
let live, love, and…sexuality

I took comfort from our discourse
that my boyfriend will be okay;
some dads may run with dinosaurs,
but love would win the day

Copyright R. N. Taber c1983


No comments: