Sunday 15 June 2014

A Working Relationship


As a rule, entering into a relationship with a work colleague is not a good idea.

There are, of course, exceptions to every rule, especially when you have desperately been trying to read someone’s body language for ages, and then...

A WORKING RELATIONSHIP

You brushed past me in a corridor
and I froze;
when I looked, you were looking too,
scratching your nose;
eyes firing questions at each other
found no answers
(none we cared to probe too closely);
we went our own ways
as we meant, although not quite,
for haunting each other’s
every move and thought for days
on end

Did I perhaps want you for a friend,
I kept asking myself?
(trying to put you out of my mind)
or was there more,
desire of another kind coursing me,
heating my blood,
pumping heart and pulse faster
than ever before?
I’d tell myself I had a fever that
would pass…
but it dogged my every footstep,
grew worse

You brushed past me in the corridor
on another occasion;
we paused, unsure how to establish
a reason;
you licked your lips and I licked mine,
tongues frozen,
alter egos debating our sexuality
head-on;
We shook hands. Your palm plied mine
with passion,
rhythm of your name exploding in me
like an orgasm

Colleagues, we still haunt the corridor;
lovers, afraid of ghosts no more


Copyright R. N. Taber 2008

No comments: