Saturday 29 February 2020

Daydreamer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Today’s poem has appeared on the blog before and is a favourite of mine. I hope new readers will like it and regular readers enjoy becoming reacquainted.

Who can honestly say (gay or straight) they have never found themselves daydreaming about someone? It happens to me all the time, especially since  contracting prostate cancer in 2011 and consequently unable to enjoy sex after years of hormone therapy. There is far more to life than sex, though, so I(still) prefer to engage in positive thinking rather than lend my voice to the world's whingers.

If there is anyone more boring than a whinger, it has to be a troll; to those well-meaning readers who suggest I promote my poetry on social media, I can only say I left it in the first place because of trolls and have no intention of returning. Feel free, though, to give this e-address if you think anyone on Twitter or Facebook may be interested, and is not only there for a whinge or gossip:
https://rogertab.blogspot.com  (General)
https://aspectsofagaymanslifeinverse.blogspot.com/ (Gay-interest) 

DAYDREAMER

He sat at a table by the window
staring into space, eyes like dewdrops
on a bluebell among shadows
haunting the handsome face
like city kids playing among
spring flowers making a brave show
in window boxes

I lost myself in those eyes,
wandered territory unknown without fear,
guided by the sad sunshine of a smile
along trails I 'd never dare
for their twists and turns, nature
running wild, its call like the heartbeat
of a wilful child

We found each other and he took
my hand, gently pulled me to the ground;
our first kiss was like coming home
after long years away…
and he made love to me right there;
Oh, the beauty, the ecstasy, bitter-sweet
cruelty of despair!

Suddenly, he got up and went out in the rain;
I finished my drink and went home alone

Copyright R. N. Taber 2000; 2010

[Note: A slightly different version of this poem under the title 'Blue Eyes'  has appeared in several poetry publications , including my first major collection Love And Human Remains by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2001.]

No comments: