Saturday 1 February 2020

A (Gay) Winter's Tale OR Anticipating Summer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Lonely? Wintry days seem endless? Well, take heart, you just never know what’s around the next corner or even at the next taxi queue ...

A (GAY) WINTER'S TALE or ANTICIPATING SUMMER

Standing close to me in the queue,
buttocks pressing on my groin;
my sex aroused, I could but surf waves
of desire, riding blond highlights
among waves of his long brown hair;
if I’d stuck out my tongue,
it would have brushed the pale neck
gracing a denim shirt collar
like down of an angel’s wing making
moves on my heart’s reawakening

Moving forward in the queue till just
us pair, a lump in my throat hard
and throbbing like an erection (that, too)
as in craters of a full moon I made
frantic love…to you; a taxi pulled up
alongside us, your turn to vanish
into a darker side of town. You casually
asked if I’d care to share, and I could
but nod, anxious to pursue those highlights
in your hair just about anywhere

In the back seat, leg pressing against mine,
we gladly revealed our names - and
more. It was time, we both knew, to stop
playing games, answer a question
in the wing mirror’s eyes as the taxi
pulled up outside your door;
it was now or never. I yielded to temptation,
said ‘yes’ without further hesitation;
if only a one-night stand, I was well hooked,
my place in your bed long since booked

Wintry days (even in summer) all the warmer
for our being together

Copyright R. N. Taber 2007; 2011

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears in Accomplices To Illusion by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2007.]

No comments: