Friday 26 June 2020

Pièce de résistance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Today's poem first appeared on the blog in 2015.

A reader once emailed me and asked the nature of my thoughts. For example, he wanted to know, am OK with being gay? Do I have regrets for being in my 70's now? He might as well have just asked if I am OK with being myself.

Yes, there is a part of me that is not happy with all I have achieved and not achieved. Who doesn't’ have regrets? I have more than my fair share, but being gay is not one of them. Coming out openly as a gay man, albeit waiting until my 30's to do so, is one of the relatively few aspects of my life of which I will always be proud.

PIÈCE DE RÉSISTANCE

Body, seeking love,
where doors closed to me
or slammed in my face,
warning I must know my place,
given an open sexuality
scorning all prejudice
and bigotry, daring to stake
my claim to co-exist
among the best (and worst)
humanity has to offer

Mind, anxious love
close not its open doors to me
or slam them in my face,
reaffirming that I have a place,
given an open sexuality
trusting prejudice and bigotry
will (eventually) accept
nature’s everlasting legacy
to history of the best (and worst)
humanity has to offer

Spirit, conspiring with love
to engage a kinder humanity
with the likes of me,
urge a smile on the face
of adversity, keeping it in place,
for taking pride in sexuality,
tasking prejudice and bigotry
with (finally) accepting
all the integrity of human nature
demands, that our differences
but make us human

Body, mind and spirit, steering us
through good and bad patches...


Copyright R. N. Taber 2015; 2020

[Note: This poem has been slightly but significantly revised since it first appeared on the blog in 2015.} RNT


No comments: