Monday 24 August 2020

Men Shopping

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Today’s poem first appeared on the blog in 2012 albeit in a different form.

Now, feedback suggests that some readers like to compare revisions so I have left the original version in the archives; see listed (by year) on the right hand side of any blog entry.

Hopefully, readers - whoever and wherever -will approve of any changes I have made to form and content, but feel free to email me any thoughts any time to rogertab@ol.com [UK] as I do not publish comments; any spam or trolling will be ignored and instantly deleted. 

Although I often write in the first person, relatively few of my poms are autobiographical, but loosely relate to gay couples I have known or third person tales told me in the course of lively conversations at various venues, long before the world became acquainted with Covid-19 or the need for social distancing. (Oh, halcyon days!)


MEN SHOPPING 

He was reaching for coffee
on a supermarket shelf;
the graceful swing of his body
cut me to the quick;
one eye refused to blink, kept
at the task in hand;
trying hard not to think about
a finger nudging mine

His tenuous grasp on the jar,
began to slip;
my hand was left no choice,
obliged to help;
he thanked me with a grin,
I smiled back;
as he made as if to move on,
I finally found my voice

“So, you like decaf?” I blurted
to a shirt button;
a hint of hairy chest heaved,
breath slow and warm;
“I do indeed,” he grinned again,
made my cheeks burn ...
and I came up with something
even more banal

We chatted away the whole
length of the aisle;
finally, at preserves, a parting
of the ways;
I finished off my shopping
having lost my nerve,
no names, numbers exchanged,
guessing not interested

Outside, he was unloading into
an old banger;
a cheeky wave saw me blush
from ear to ear;
the same grin, infuriating me
this time;
lips parted, tip of a pink tongue
teasing my prime

My mouth went dry, and I barely
recall that lift home;
years on, I still thrill to waking
next to him,
listening to a steady breathing
till opening to mine;
morning kisses by way of recalling
a day’s shopping

Copyright R. N. Taber 2004; 2020


[Note: An early version of this poem appears in The Third Eye by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2004.]


No comments: