Wednesday 29 September 2010

Intimacy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

[Update March 18 2018: I have to confess I am not sexually active these days but the poem brings back some happy memories. I still enjoy sensual hugs and kissing with the right guy, but at 72  I suspect very few guys are interested. Now and then, though, life springs a delightful surprise. I enjoy the company of younger men (they keep me young too) and it would seem that there are some about who not only up for the company of a golden oldie like me now and then but also also a spot of platonic-sensual rather than sexual. I guess hope really does spring eternal!]

For those readers who commented when this poem appeared on the blog back in March 2009…never let it be said that a poet lives only in his imagination. Even in his or her 60s did you say? Now, that would be telling….

Ah, sexual intimacy, making love…is there anything quite like it? [Mind you, sensual intimacy comes a close second...] Gay love is no less a glorious experience whatever our socio-cultural-religious background nor gay lovers less blessed by Earth Mother than any other.

INTIMACY

You stood quietly, passively
as I undressed you;
your whole body quivered
when I kissed you;
unbuttoning your shirt, letting
the tip of my tongue
at your nipples, tickle chest hairs
rippling across my cheek
like desire gathering pace in
my veins, flooding me
with the taste, smell, closeness
of your near naked body

Adonis of my dreams, as real
as a full curve of lips
smiling at me, slightly parted,
moist, red, imploring
the audacity of another kiss
before tugging at 501s,
admiring the athletic of a tan
down to your toes,
emphasized again by Y-fronts
slowly, finally removed
by trembling hands, fumbling
with my own clothes

A heart-thumping nakedness,
embracing yours
like the heat of an iron on silk
as we lay down,
joined as one, destined to share
a giving and taking,
intimacy beyond compare
until we are spent,
nestling in each other’s arms,
content to let our hearts
speak our minds, dawn kisses
through chinks in blinds

Nature, blessing the sincerity
of  gay people everywhere,
no matter colour, creed, culture,
or home-school-work ethic
embracing  their human right
to enjoy sexual relations,
deny any inequality in a quality
of lovemaking sure to fuel
the rhetoric of bigots among us,
and get right up the noses
of all those passing judgement
in their glass houses

Copyright R. N. Taber 2004

[Note: This poem has been (slightly) revised from the original as it appears in The Third Eye by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2004]

No comments: